Engine - EMS Duty Officer
|Indianapolis Fire Department Station 16 -
5555 North Illinois Street - Meridian-Kessler
Opened on April 21, 1932, this historic station had to have its garage doors enlarged to make room for the newer larger engines.
Located in the affluent Meridian Kessler area, Station 16 is one of IFD's quietest stations with an average of just 3 runs per day.
|Engine 16 - 1996 Pierce Lance II Custom - 2000gpm Hale pump/500gal/40gal foam|
|This apparatus previously served as Engine 7 until it replaced the Grumman at the end of this page in late April 2005.|
|Engine 16 - 1996 Pierce Lance II Custom -2000gpm Hale pump/500gal/40gal foam|
|This Engine and Engine 13 were twin 1996 models and were the first Engines at IFD to be considered "High Rise" pumpers due to
their higher pump capacity. Their 2000gpm pumps offer higher pressure for supplying standpipe systems in downtown buildings and
can provide necessary pressure to fully elevated aerial devices. They can also assist in moving water through 5" supply lines over
longer distances while keeping adequate pressure. Since that time, this has become the standard at IFD and allows for the rigs to be
reassigned with no concerns for pumping or foam capabilities.
|Engine 16 - 1996 Pierce Lance II Custom - 2000gpm/500gal/40gal foam
Engines 16 pumps water at a house fire on Guilford in January 2006
|Car 1822 - Northside EMS Duty Officer - 1997 Ford Expedition
This truck served briefly as a squad with Warren Township prior to the merger. It was reassigned as the EDO in fall of 2008.
|Car 1822 - EMS Duty Officer - 2002 Ford Excursion Command
With the merger of Washington Township in October 2006, a single EMS Duty Officer was no longer sufficient. Therefore,
this rig was moved to Station 16 to serve as the "Northern" EMS Duty Officer, while 1223 was created as the
"Southern" EMS Duty Officer responding from Station 11. These unit numbers were change in mid-2008 to 1822 and 1823.
|Previous Engine 16 - 1991 Grumman Custom Pumper - 1250gpm/500gal
This apparatus had been on the replacement list for some time, but a larger pumper could not fit
into the historic station. Engine 16 was the last Grumman retired from active use by the department.
|Engine 16 awaits the next call in front of it's quiet station on North Illinois Street.|