Indianapolis Fire Department
Retired Rigs

Station 13

IFD badge
Snorkel 13 - 1969 Maxim F/Pierce/Pittman 85' Snorkel - IFD #2308, Pierce #61659

Snorkel 13 - 1969 Maxim F/Pierce/Pittman 85' Snorkel - #2745
Snorkel 13 was purchased for $75,600. It went into service at the 13's on May 16, 1969. It served 18 years at the same house
before going out of service in 1987. It was sold at auction on 11-4-1988.
1978 photo by Duane Troxel

 
Snorkel 13 - 1969 Maxim F/Pierce/Pittman 85' Snorkel - IFD #2308, Pierce #61659

Snorkel 13 - 1969 Maxim F/Pierce/Pittman 85' Snorkel - #2745

Photo by Steve Hagy
 
Engine 13 - 1975 Mack MB/Howe Pumper - 1250gpm/500gal - Mack #MB685FC-1051 - Howe #14500

Engine 13 - 1975 Mack MB/Howe Pumper - 1250gpm/500gal - Mack #MB685FC-1051 - Howe #14500
Indianapolis purchased three Mack MB/Howe rigs in 1975. This one entered service at the 13's in September of that year.
In 1979 is was reassigned as Engine 28. It moved to reserve status briefly in 1986 before returning to the 28's after their other
Mack/Howe was in an accident. It returned to reserve status in March of 1991.

1978 Photo by Duane Troxel
 
Squrt 13 - 1968 Ford C/54' Sqrt - #2135-B

Squrt 13 - 1968 Ford C/Pierce 54' Squrt - #2135-B

IFD purchased one Squrt for $26,200 back in 1968. This unique rig started its service at Station 13 on Halloween 1968.
It moved to Station 1 in 1982 and onto Station 26 in 1987. It was moved to reserve status on August 1, 1991.
Photo by Bill Friedrich
 
Chemical 13 - "Reddy Wagon" - 1968 Ford F-250/Ansul with 100-gallons LW and 500#'s Purple K

Chemical 13 - "Reddy Wagon" - 1968 Ford F-250/Ansul with 100-gallons LW and 500#'s Purple K

The "Reddy Wagon" went in service at the 13's November 20, 1968. It went to the 11's, after the 13's closed on 11-11-1986. It was taken out of service around 1988.  It cost $12,000 and was leased to the city by Indianapolis Power and Light for $1.00 per year. It was sold to the Morgan County Civil Defense in July 1991.

The name "Reddy Wagon" came from "Reddy Kilowatt" who was a cartoon figure that was used as a symbol for I.P. & L., and many other electric utility companies. His body, arms and legs were lightning bolts and he had a light bulb for a nose. He is pictured (with axe and fire helmet) on the side compartment of Chemical 13 in this photograph.

1978 Photo by Duane Troxel

 
Light Wagon 13 - 1969 IHC Van/IFD combination Air/Light Unit

Light Wagon 13 - 1969 IHC Van/IFD combination Air/Light Unit
1978 Photo by Duane Troxel

 
Battalion 13 - 1994 Ford Econoline - Command Van

Battalion 13 - 1994 Ford Econoline - Command Van
Photo by Matt Woods

 
Engine 13 - 1994 Pierce Lance Custom Pumper - 1500gpm/500gal/40gal foam
Engine 13 - 1994 Pierce Lance Custom Pumper - 1500gpm/500gal/40gal foam
This rig served for 13 years as Engine 13. It was moved to reserve status in August 2007.
 
 
Special Thanks for excellent photos and history from Bruce Neal, Matt Woods, Bill Friedrich and Steve Hagy. Also thanks
to Steve Skaar for providing these great pictures from Duane Troxel, as well as his own slide collection from years past!
Finally, thanks to Jack Finney for providing great details and history for many of these IFD historical apparatus!
 

Indianapolis Fire Department

Indianapolis Metropolitan Professional Firefighters Local 416