Walnut Township
Volunteer Fire Department

The Town of New Ross is located 45 miles east-northeast of Indianapolis along IN-136 in southeastern Montgomery County. Organized in 1954, this all-volunteer department includes 20 members who respond from a single station. WTVFD provides Fire, Rescue and BLS protection to 48 square miles including the Town of New Ross and Walnut Township.

Station

Walnut Township Fire Station - State & Main Streets - New Ross
Completed in 2000, this firehouse is home to all six NRVFD apparatus.

 
E81 ds
Engine 81 - 1981 Ford F-800/McGinley Pumper - 500gpm/1500gal
While it's commonplace in Illinois, you don't see many fire apparatus from Indiana with blue and red warning lights. This
engine is schedule to be replaced by a new Engine 81 in 2009.
 
R81 ds
Rescue 81 - 1997 Ford F-450/McGinley Light Rescue - 500gpm/300gal
R-81 carries a wide variety of firefighting equipment including a set of Amkus Extrication Tools.
 
Tk 81 ds
Tanker 81 - 1985 Ford F-800/S&S - 750gpm/2000gal
This apparatus previously served Crawfordsville.
 
Tanker 82
Tanker 82 - 1978 GMC/FD Custom - 500gpm/1200gal
This rig is equipped with pump & roll capability and is now primarily used for brush fires.
 
Brush 81 ds
Brush Truck 81 - 2008 Ford F-350/Kenny Vice Ford - 300gpm/300gal/10gal Foam
Kenny Vice Ford is located in Ladoga and has specialized in selling  utility bodied F series for fire service use. This dealer has started to build their own fire trucks with Brush 81 being the very first!
 
A81 ds
Ambulance 81 - 1996 Ford E-350/Wheeled Coach Type III BLS
This rig previously served nearby Crawfordsville and responds to BLS calls throughout the district.
 
 

Special thanks to FF Kyle McHargue for arranging the apparatus for thes pictures. Thanks also to Chief Roger Routh
for providing Walnut Township FD background and history.