West Lafayette Fire Department

West Lafayette is located 68 miles northwest of Indianapolis across the Wabash River from Lafayette. West Lafayette is a full-time department which responds from three stations. Purdue University has it's own separate fire department that protects the campus. The two departments regularly work together for mutual aid throughout the city and campus. First established in 1894, West Lafayette provides Fire, Rescue, and limited BLS protection more than 30,000 residents and 10 square miles. ALS services are provided on a county-wide basis by Tippecanoe Co. EMS.

Station 1 - 300 North Street - Southside
Station 1 - 300 North Street - Southside
Located on the eastern edge of the Purdue University Campus, Station 1 is home to Engine 1 and Utility 1. Originally built in 1917,
this station was home to the department's first mechanized engine. Station 1 is currently undergoing renovations to return the upstairs
living quarters to their original state complete with wood floors and a working fire pole to the apparatus floor.
 
Engine 1 run
Engine 1 - 2007 Pierce Enforcer Rescue Pumper - 1500gpm/500gal
Engine 1 is shown here screaming out of their station responding to a house fire. Engines 1 & 3 were purchased as twins to replace the very old rig below.
 
Engine 1 ds smoke
Engine 1 is the first engine company in on a smokey house fire in May 2008.
 
Utility 3 - 1992 Chevrolet 3500 4x4 Crew Cab - 100gal Foam Extinguisher
Utility 1(3) - 1992 Chevrolet 3500 4x4 Crew Cab - 100gal Foam Extinguisher
Utility 1 (shown here with it's former designation) often serves as the first due apparatus for EMS calls from Station 1. The
truck's bed includes a small pump and 100 gallon tank for quick response to car, grass and garbage fires
 
Engine 4 - 1987 Ford C8000/Pierce - 1250gpm/500gal
Former Engine 4 - 1987 Ford C8000/Pierce Pumper- 1250gpm/500gal
When firefighters were no longer able to ride on the tailboard, Engine 4's original frame was stretched
to make room for it's unique additional cab compartment.
 
Station 2
Station 2 - 531 Navajo Street
Located on the city's north side, Station 2 was built in the 1970's. This station serves the central portion of West Lafayette
including numerous subdivisions and the busy US-52 commercial corridor. It is currently home to Ladder 2 and Engine 2
(formerly Ladder 5 and Engine 6) pictured below.
 
Ladder 2 ds
Ladder 2 - 2001 Pierce Dash 95' Mid-mount Platform - 1500gpm/250gal
Ladder 2 arrives first at a house fire in May of 2008.
 
Ladder 2 os smoke
Ladder 2 - 2001 Pierce Dash 95' Mid-mount Platform - 1500gpm/250gal
 
Ladder 5 - 2001 Pierce Dash 95' Mid-mount Platform - 1500gpm/250gal
Ladder 2 (5) - 2001 Pierce Dash 95' Mid-mount Platform - 1500gpm/250gal
 
Engine 6 - 1999 Pierce Quantum Rescue Pumper - 1500gpm/500gal

Engine 6 - 1999 Pierce Quantum Rescue Pumper - 1500gpm/500gal
Engine 6 is one of only a handful of Pierce Quantums in all of Indiana.This truck's compartments also store
heavy rescue equipment including cribbing and hydraulic tools for advanced auto extrications.

 
Engine 6 - 1999 Pierce Quantum Rescue Pumper - 1500gpm/500gal
Engine 6 - 1999 Pierce Quantum Rescue Pumper - 1500gpm/500gal
Firefighters connect a 5" line to the hydrant for pump training.
 
Station 2 pump & nozzle training

The crews from station 2 break in the new guys with some pump & nozzle training on a warm day in January 2006.

 
Engine 3 os
Engine 3 - 2007 Pierce Enforcer Rescue Pumper - 1500gpm/500gal
Engine 3 responds from a single-engine house on the city's far northside. It is awaiting a new fire station to be built to serve the
newly annexed portions of the city north of US-52.
 


Purdue University Fire Department - West Lafayette Fire Department

Lafayette Fire Department